Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Stumbling a Bit in the Home Stretch

35 weeks.

Due to a family health crisis, I had to fly to America in January, right around the time I should have been taking my Glucose Tolerance Test. On my return, our entire household contracted Martian Death Lurghy which didn't abate until the end of the month, so rescheduling took a little longer than it should have.

So when I got a call from the antenatal clinic of the hospital yesterday informing me that I had Gestational Diabetes and a) could they please see me Thursday to figure out what to do about it and b) could I knock off my cookie/juice/fruit/carb/everything scarfing ways in the meantime, it was a bit of a bummer.

It's one of those things that you can't help but feel totally responsible for and in my case, not getting around to the test sooner is a double whammy. Luckily, according to the midwife, my blood sugars aren't THAT bad, so I'm hoping that it's something that I can treat with diet rather than needles. (pleaseohpleasedontmakemestabmyselfbecauseiwilltotallyfaint.)

Fingers crossed for the most positive of outcomes.

2 comments:

Kath said...

Oh, dear Rockmama, I'm so sorry to hear that. It sucks. I do have my fingers crossed that the GD treatment is very effective and that it doesn't involve needles... and I hope, too, that you can lay off the guilt. It happens, it just does.

Thinking of you.

Dot said...

What Kath said. From a scientific sample of one (my friend Chloe) I gather GD need not involve needles.