Thursday, March 08, 2007

Prawncon 3

So, today is officially The Day of the Prawn. However, someone obviously neglected to inform him/her.

According to statistics, only 5% of babies are born on their actual due date. Mr. DD was also horrified to discover that there are actually a fairly high percentage that are born in the 44th week of pregnancy. That’s an extra MONTH of being knocked up. Gah.

The Prawn, however, will not be allowed to linger that long in Chateau de Womb. Although I’m having my blood pressure checked every other day now, the consultant at the hospital was happy enough to let me go for 10 days past my due date, just to see if things could get a natural jump start. So, should the Prawn still be fashionably late, I have an induction booked for the 18th of March; ironically, British Mother’s Day. I’m not hugely keen on the idea of induction, but neither am I keen on waddling, shortness of breath, swollen feet and doing shots of antacid.

In the meantime, I shall be giving some old wives remedies a try- hot chillis and curries, raspberry leaf tea, Evening Primrose Oil, shagging, walking around a lot….although I shall be stopping short of Castor Oil, which is the digestive equivalent of pouring Mr. Muscle down a drain. While I am anxious to meet my offspring, I would rather not have to spend several hours in the can with debilitating intestinal spasms before doing so. (That’s how Castor Oil works, apparently. It’s hoped that the uterus will see all of the gleeful cramping of the digestive system and go, “Oo! Oo! Me too!” Nuts to that.)

So, we’ll have to see what the next week brings!

6 comments:

lisalou said...

I was really happy to see you update today. I 've been checking your blog daily for any signs of the prawn's birth.. Do you have a trampoline handy? I bet that would work!

Dr. Grumbles said...

I just realized... soon your screen name will be a misnomer!

rockmama said...

lisalou-Mr. DD went out at lunch and got me a takeaway curry. It didn't work, but it sure was tasty!

sara- I thought about that! Ah well. What with how much of a pain in the butt Blogger can be, I think I'll just let it be. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm an also-pregnant lurker, due Apr 21 and in Alaska... it's been fun to follow your journey! I read a blog entry yesterday at Suburban Turmoil which reviewed a local eggplant parmesan speciality - it has apparently induced the births of over 300 babies! There's a link to the recipe... good luck! http://suburbanturmoil.blogspot.com/

dawnatello said...

ok it is sat now and no new posts meaning that you may be in labour i think since i think you would've have updated by now if no baby.......i hope all is well!!

rockmama said...

Sadly, the Prawn has YET to show up! What I HAVE got, however, is a rather nasty case of PUPPP, which means serious itching on my belly. GETTING FED UP. TIME TO COME OUT, PRAWN.